BBQ Lemon and Rosemary Chicken Skewers
May 19, 2016
A Sizzling Summer treat that will tantalise the tastebuds
Summer is grilling season and there is no better way to enjoy a barbecue with friends and family than with delicious, fresh herbs to add mouth-watering flavours.
You can purchase herbs from your local supermarket however growing your own herbs, either in the kitchen in planters or in the garden, will not only add that extra freshness to your grill but also herbs provide bees and butterflies with pollinating flowers which they can enjoy.
When picking herbs for your grill, target the new growth. The fresher the shoot is, the more flavour it will have. We will be using rosemary in our BBQ chicken skewer recipe which adds an earthy rustic taste to cooking.
Rosemary is the king of herbs. Its proud, Mediterranean branches can grow several feet high and the earthy, dense flavours unleash more when its cooked.
It’s savoury taste is unique among herbs and blends perfectly with pork, chicken, potatoes and beef.
BBQ Lemon and Rosemary Chicken Skewers with tzatziki sauce
- 2 chicken breasts (or about 1 and 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 lemons
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup regular yogurt (not Greek)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsp (approximate) fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch salt
- Cut the chicken into large chunks of equal size. Aim to get about 16 pieces so you will have four chunks per skewer. Put them in a large zip bag or a large bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, the juice of one lemon, and garlic, and pour over the chicken. Make sure all the chicken is coated, then seal the bag or cover the bowl and refrigerate for several hours or preferably overnight.
- To make the sauce, put the rosemary leaves in a small food processor and pulse to chop. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. Taste to adjust any of the ingredients. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
- Slice the remaining lemons with a sharp knife for thin slices.
- Thread four skewers with alternating chunks of chicken and two slices of lemon. You can fold the lemon in half before threading onto the skewer.
- Add the skewers to the barbecue to cook until golden.
- Serve immediately and drizzle with the tzatziki sauce.